USS BLUEBACK was the second BARBEL - class submarine and the second ship in the Navy to bear the name. Decommissioned on October 1, 1990, the BLUEBACK subsequently joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet at Bremerton, Wash. Stricken from the Navy list on October 30, 1990, the submarine was donated to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, Portland, Oregon, in February 1994, and is now serving as a museum ship.
|General Characteristics:||Keel laid: April 15, 1957|
|Launched: May 16, 1959|
|Commissioned: October 15, 1959|
|Decommissioned: October 1, 1990|
|Builder: Ingalls Shipbuilding, Pascagoula, Miss.|
|Propulsion system: three Fairbanks-Morse diesel engines, two General Electric motors|
|Length: 219.5 feet (66.9 meters)|
|Beam: 28.9 feet (8.8 meters)|
|Draft: 27.9 feet (8.5 meters)|
|Displacement: Surfaced: approx. 2,570 tons Submerged: approx. 2,895 tons|
|Speed: Surfaced: approx. 15 knots Submerged: approx. 25 knots|
|Armament: six 533 mm torpedo tubes|
|Crew: 8 Officers, 70 Enlisted|
This section contains the names of sailors who served aboard USS BLUEBACK. It is no official listing but contains the names of sailors who submitted their information.
Accidents aboard USS BLUEBACK:
|May 25, 1989||off southern California|
A fire aboard USS BLUEBACK forces the submarine to surface during training exercises. No injuries are reported and damage is slight.
USS BLUEBACK Image Gallery:
The photos below were taken by Michael Jenning during a visit aboard the USS BLUEBACK museum in Portland, Or., on June 10, 2022.
|Click here for more Photos.|