no coat of arms
USS GUADALCANAL was the sixth CASABLANCA - class escort carrier and the first ship in the Navy to bear the name. Originally named ASTROLABE BAY, the ship was renamed GUADALCANAL on April 3, 1943. During WWII, the crew of USS GUADALCANAL became the first US sailors to board and seize an enemy warship since the war of 1812 when they captured the German submarine U-505.
Decommissioned on July 15, 1946, the GUADALCANAL entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Norfolk and was redesignated CVU 60 on July 15, 1955, while still in reserve. Her name was finally stricken from the Navy List May 27, 1958, and she was sold for scrap to the Hugo Neu Corp. of New York April 30, 1959.
|General Characteristics:||Awarded: 1942|
|Keel laid: January 5, 1943|
|Launched: June 15, 1943|
|Commissioned: September 25, 1943|
|Decommissioned: July 15, 1946|
|Builder: Kaiser Shipbuilding Co., Vancouver, Wash.|
|Propulsion system: four boilers|
|Length: 512.5 feet (156.2 meters)|
|Flight Deck Width: 108 feet (32.9 meters)|
|Beam: 65 feet (19.9 meters)|
|Draft: 22.6 feet (6.9 meters)|
|Displacement: approx. 10,400 tons full load|
|Speed: 19 knots|
|Aircraft: 28 planes|
|Armament: one 5-inch L/38 gun, 16 40mm guns, 20 20mm guns|
This section contains the names of sailors who served aboard USS GUADALCANAL. It is no official listing but contains the names of sailors who submitted their information.
USS GUADALCANAL Cruise Books:
|March - April 1944||VC-58 (9 FM and 12 TBF/TBM)|
|May - June 1944||VC-8 (9 FM and 12 TBM)|
History of USS GUADALCANAL:
USS GUADALCANAL was converted from a Maritime Commission hull by Kaiser Co., Inc., of Vancouver, Wash. Originally ATROLABE BAY (AVG 60), she was reclassified ACV 60, 20 August 1942 and launched as GUADALCANAL (ACV 60) 5 June 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Alvin I. Malstrom. She was reclassified CVE 60 on 15 July 1943; and commissioned at Astoria, Oreg., 25 September 1943, Captain D. V. Gallery in command.
After shakedown training, GUADALCANAL performed pilot qualifications out of San Diego, Calif., and then departed 15 November 1943, via the Panama Canal, for Norfolk, Va., arriving 3 December. There she became flagship of antisubmarine task group 21.12, and with her escort destroyers set out from Norfolk 5 January 1944 in search of enemy submarines in the North Atlantic. On 16 January aircraft from GUADALCANAL sighted three submarines fueling on the surface and in a rocket and bombing attack succeeded in sinking German submarine U-544. Replenishing at Casablanca, the task group headed back for Norfolk and repairs, arriving 16 February.
Departing again with her escorts 7 March, GUADALCANAL sailed without incident to Casablanca and got underway from that port 30 March with a convoy bound for the United States. Scouring the waters around the convoy 8 April northwest of Madeira, the task group discovered German submarine U-515 and closed in for the kill. GUADALCANAL aircraft and destroyers CHATELAIN, FLAHERTY, PILLSBURY, and POPE made several well coordinated attacks on the intruder with rockets and depth charges throughout the night. Losing depth control on the afternoon of 9 April, the submarine was forced to surface amid the waiting ships, and was immediately devastated by point blank rocket and gunfire. As Wildcat fighters from GUADALCANAL strafed the submarine, her captain, German ace Kapitšnleutenant Werner Henke, ordered abandon ship and she went to the bottom.
Again on the night of 10 April the task group caught German submarine U-68 on the surface in broad moonlight 300 miles south of the Azores and sank her with depth charges and rocket fire. The convoy arrived safely at Norfolk 26 April 1944.
After voyage repairs at Norfolk, GUADALCANAL and her escorts departed Hampton Roads for sea again 15 May 1944. Two weeks of cruising brought no contacts, and the task force decided to head for the coast of Africa to refuel. Ten minutes after reversing course, however, CHATELAIN detected a submarine, U-505. The destroyer loosed one depth charge attack and, guided in for a more accurate drop by circling Avenger aircraft from GUADALCANAL, soon made a second. This pattern blasted a hole in the outer hull of the submarine, and rolled the U-boat on its beam ends. Shouts of panic from the conning tower led her inexperienced captain to believe his boat was doomed, so he blew his tanks and surfaced, barely 700 yards from CHATELAIN. The destroyer fired a torpedo, which missed, and the surfaced submarine then came under the combined fire of the escorts and aircraft, forcing her crew to abandon ship.
Captain Gallery had been waiting and planning for such an opportunity, and having already trained and equipped his boarding parties, ordered PILLSBURY's boat to make for the German sub and board her. Under the command of Lt. (jg) A. L. David, the party leaped onto the slowly circling submarine and found it abandoned. Braving unknown dangers below, David and his men quickly captured all important papers and books while closing valves and stopping leaks. As Pillsbury attempted to get a tow-line on her, like a cowboy roping a steer, the party managed to stop her engines. By this time a larger salvage group from GUADALCANAL arrived, and began the work of preparing U-505 to be towed. After securing the tow-line and picking up the German survivors from the sea, GUADALCANAL started for Bermuda with her priceless prize in tow. Fleet tug ABNAKI rendezvoused with the task group and took over towing duties, the group arriving in Bermuda 19 June.
For their daring and skillful teamwork in this remarkable capture, GUADALCANAL and her escorts shared in a Presidential Unit Citation. The captured submarine proved to be of inestimable value to American intelligence, and its true fate was kept secret from the Germans until the end of the war. U-505 is now on display at the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
Arriving in Norfolk 22 June 1944, GUADALCANAL spent only a short time in port before setting out again on patrol. She departed Norfolk 15 July and between then and 1 December made three anti-submarine cruises in the Western Atlantic. She sailed 1 December for a training period in waters off Bermuda and Cuba that included refresher landings for pilots of her new squadron, gunnery practice, and anti-submarine warfare drills with Italian submarine R-9. GUADALCANAL arrived Mayport, Fla., for carrier qualifications 15 December and subsequently engaged in further training in Cuban water until 13 February 1946 when she arrived back in Norfolk. After another short training cruise to the Caribbean, she steamed into Mayport 15 March for a tour of duty as carrier qualification ship, later moving to Pensacola for similar operations. After qualifying nearly 4,000 pilots, GUADALCANAL returned to Norfolk, Va., and decommissioned there 15 July 1946.
GUADALCANAL entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Norfolk and was redesignated CVU 60 on 15 July 1955, while still in reserve. Her name was finally stricken from the Navy List 27 May 1958 and she was sold for scrap to the Hugo Neu Corp. of New York 30 April 1959.
GUADALCANAL was awarded three battle stars and a Presidential Unit Citation for service in World War II.
USS GUADALCANAL Image Gallery: