Search the Site with 
General Characteristics Crew List Memorabilia In the News USS Emory S. Land History Notes of Interest About the Name "Emory S. Land" Image Gallery to end of page

USS Emory S. Land (AS 39)



USS EMORY S. LAND is the first in the Navy's probably last class of submarine tenders and the first ship in the Navy to bear the name. On February 1, 2008, the ship was transferred to Military Sealift Command's Special Mission Ships Program. Since then, the EMORY S. LAND is still commanded by a US Navy commanding officer but navigation, deck, engineering, galley and steward services and communications and supply functions are provided by civilian mariners.

General Characteristics:Keel Laid: March 2, 1976
Launched: May 4, 1977
Commissioned: July 7, 1979
Builder: Lockheed Shipbuilding & Construction Company, Seattle, Wash.
Propulsion System: two boilers, geared turbines
Propellers: one
Length: 646 feet (197 meters)
Beam: 85 feet (25.9 meters)
Draft: 26 feet (7.9 meters)
Displacement: approx. 23,000 tons
Speed: 20 knots
Armament: two 40mm guns, four 20mm guns
Homeport: Diego Garcia
Crew: 160 civilian mariners and 292 US Navy personnel


Back to topback to top  go to endgo to the end of the page

Crew List:

This section contains the names of sailors who served aboard USS EMORY S. LAND. It is no official listing but contains the names of sailors who submitted their information.


back to top  go to the end of the page



Back to topback to top  go to endgo to the end of the page

USS EMORY S. LAND in the News:


Back to topback to top  go to endgo to the end of the page

History of USS EMORY S. LAND:
(with information provided by David Semenske, Plankowner of USS EMORY S. LAND)

The keel was laid for the USS EMORY S. LAND on 2 March 1976, and the ship was launched on 4 May 1977 after being christened by its sponsor, Mrs. Sara H. Long. EMORY S. LAND was delivered to the Navy on 2 March 1979, just three years after the laying of the keel. EMORY S. LAND was placed "In Commission, Special" on 23 March 1979, and was placed "In Commission" on 7 July 1979.

EMORY S. LAND's original purpose was to be a floating base for subs and only go out when a sub needed repairs at sea. However, that changed as a result of budget cuts and tenders had to take on extra duties. In September 1980, EMORY S. LAND headed for the Indian Ocean, Diego Garcia, to act as a supply ship for the middle eastern forces that were involved in operations in the Persian Gulf as a result of the Revolution in Iran. EMORY S. LAND relieved the USS L.Y. SPEAR (AS 36) which then returned to Norfolk, Va. The LAND remained on station for six months until she was relieved by USS AJAX (AR 6).

In July 1986, EMORY S. LAND embarked as the Officer in Tactical Command of four United States ships and five foreign ships in transit from the Virginia Capes operating area to the New York Harbor where it participated in the International Naval Review and Fourth of July Statue of Liberty Rededication ceremonies. In August 1987, EMORY S. LAND operated as the tactical and communications platform for Submarine Squadron EIGHT and Submarine Squadron SIX.

In 1988, EMORY S. LAND was underway and deployed for 182 days. During the deployment the ship steamed 26,011 nautical miles and circumnavigated the world. Port visits included Lisbon, Portugal; Naples, Italy, Port Said, Egypt; Muscat, Oman; Fremantle, Australia; and Rodman, Panama. During its 92 days anchored in the North Arabian Sea, it tended the surface combatants of Joint Task Force Middle East and Carrier Battle Groups operating in the North Arabian Sea.

In July 1993, EMORY S. LAND served as the Commander, Submarine Group TWO flagship during a port visit to Boston, and was the host ship for a visit by the Commanding-in-Chief, Russian Northern Fleet and three visiting Russian ships.

Since its commissioning, EMORY S. LAND has received two Meritorious Unit Commendations, the Navy Expeditionary Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and five Battle Efficiency Awards in addition to numerous departmental awards. The ship won the Captain Edward F. Ney Memorial for Large Ship food service excellence in 1985, 1995 and 1997, the Safety "S" Award in 1995 and 1997, the Red DC in 1995, and the Weapons Black "W" Award in 1996 and 1997.

Back to topback to top  go to endgo to the end of the page

Notes of Interest:


Back to topback to top  go to endgo to the end of the page

About the Tenderís Name, about Emory Scott Land:

Emory Scott Land, a native of Cannon City, Colorado, attended the University of Wyoming prior to his appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland. He entered the Academy as a Naval Cadet and graduated with distinction on May 21, 1902. After two years at sea, then required by law, he was commissioned an Ensign on May 2, 1904. After leaving the Academy he became a Naval architect specializing in submarine construction.

During World War I, Vice Admiral Land was assigned for duty with the Board of Devices and Plans Connected with Submarines in Warfare in May 1917; the Board of Standardization of Submarines in September 1917; the Staff of Admiral W. S. Sims, USN (Commander Naval Forces operating in European Waters) at Naval Headquarters, London, England, in July 1918; and the Allied Naval Armistice Commission. He was awarded the Navy Cross for his work on submarine design and construction and for work in the war zone. As Chief of the Bureau of Construction and Repair from 1932 to 1937, he supervised the design and development of submarines that formed the backbone of the U.S. Submarine Fleet in World War II. On October 1,1932, Rear Admiral Land was designated Chief of the Bureau of Construction and Repair, and remained there until he retired from active duty on April 1, 1937. Within a month he was appointed to the newly created U.S. Maritime Commission, tasked with rehabilitating the Nation's rapidly declining merchant fleet. On February 18, 1938, he became Chairman of the Commission, relieving Joseph P. Kennedy. On February 9, 1942, following the outbreak of WW II, he was also assigned as Administrator of the War Shipping Administration. He served in the dual capacity until the ending of hostilities. During the war he directed the design, establishment and maintenance of a 6000 vessel merchant fleet, the greatest maritime fleet in the history of the world. He was responsible for the availability of shipping and the resultant flow of manpower and munitions to war fronts extending from the United Kingdom to Russia and from Alaska to the Middle East.


Back to topback to top  go to endgo to the end of the page



Back to topback to top



Back to Submarine Tenders list. Back to Ships list. Back to selection page. Back to 1st page.