Authorized as environmental research ship AGER 163, the GLOVER was redesignated and commissioned as escort research ship AGDE 1 soon after. Fitted out with advanced sonar and antisubmarine weapons, the GLOVER was designed to serve as an experimental research escort for developing and testing the latest antisubmarine weapons systems. As a research ship, she tested equipment designed to more readily detect and track enemy submarines, and she evaluated tactics and procedures. Capable of participating in offensive operations against submarines, she also provided support for hunter-killer groups, amphibious forces, and ocean convoys.
On June 30, 1975, her designation was changed to AGFF 1, and on October 1, 1979, she was again redesignated as FF 1098, becoming a regular frigate in the GARCIA - class. The GLOVER served in this role until she was decommissioned on June 15, 1990. Again reclassified to T-AGFF 1, the GLOVER transfered to the Military Sealift Command the same day and was subsequently designated a sonar trials ship, no longer carrying any armament. Finally deactivated on August 28, 1992, the GLOVER was stricken from the Navy list on November 20, 1992. On April 15, 1994, the GLOVER was sold for scrapping to N. R. Acquisition Inc., New York City, for $80,743.79.
|General Characteristics:||Awarded: June 28, 1961|
|Keel laid: July 29, 1963|
|Launched: April 17, 1965|
|Commissioned: November 13, 1965|
|Decommissioned: June 15, 1990|
|Builder: Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine|
|Propulsion system: 2 Foster-Wheeler boilers; 1 Westinghouse geared turbine; 35,000shp; 1 shaft|
|Length: 414.4 feet (126.3 meters)|
|Beam: 44.3 feet (13.5 meters)|
|Draft: 25.9 feet (7.9 meters)|
|Displacement: approx. 3,500 tons full load|
|Speed: 27 knots|
|Armament: one Mk-16 missile launcher for ASROC missiles, one Mk-30 5-inch/38 caliber guns, |
|Crew: 14 officers, 211 enlisted|
This section contains the names of sailors who served aboard USS GLOVER. It is no official listing but contains the names of sailors who submitted their information.
About the Ship's Name:
John Glover, born 5 November 1732 at Salem, Mass., became a wealthy merchant and shipowner in Marblehead, Mass., prior to the outbreak of the Revolutionary War. A leading member of the Marblehead committee of correspondence, in 1775 he formed a local militia to defend the area. Made up of sailing men, his unit also trained as infantrymen and later became known as the "amphibious regiment." Soon after taking formal command of the Continental Army 3 July, General George Washington placed Glover in command of equipping and manning armed merchant ships for the defense of the colonies, thus forming the first deep water force, "George Washington's Navy." Following the British evacuation of Boston 17 March 1776, he was ordered to New York where his regiment transported troops during their evacuation from Long Island. In December they transported Washington's troops across the Delaware River, and, during the successful attack on Trenton 26 December, his regiment led the advance.
Promoted to Brigadier General in February 1777, he participated in the campaign against Burgoyne's forces. After the British surrender 17 October, he returned prisoners to Boston for shipment back to England. While stationed at West Point in 1780, General Glover served on the court that convicted Major John Andre 29 September of spying.
Early in 1782 he was dispatched to Massachusetts to take charge of mustering recruits, but failing health forced him to retire from active duty. He remained in Massachusetts after the war and during January and February 1788 served as a member of the Massachusetts convention which ratified the Federal Constitution. He died at Marblehead 30 January 1797.
USS GLOVER Image Gallery: