USS RUSSELL is the ninth ARLEIGH BURKE class guided missile destroyer and the second ship in the Navy to bear the name. In late January 2013, the RUSSELL swapped hulls with her sistership HALSEY (DDG 97) changing her homeport from Pearl Harbor, Hi., to San Diego, Calif.
|General Characteristics:||Keel Laid: July 27, 1992|
|Launched: October 23, 1993|
|Commissioned: May 20, 1995|
|Builder: Ingalls Shipbuilding, West Bank, Pascagoula, Miss.|
|Propulsion system: four General Electric LM 2500 gas turbine engines|
|Blades on each Propeller: five|
|Length: 505,25 feet (154 meters)|
|Beam: 67 feet (20.4 meters)|
|Draft: 30,5 feet (9.3 meters)|
|Displacement: approx. 8.300 tons full load|
|Speed: 30+ knots|
|Aircraft: None. But LAMPS 3 electronics installed on landing deck for coordinated DDG/helicopter ASW operations.|
|Armament: two Mk 41 VLS for Standard missiles, Tomahawk; Harpoon missile launchers, one Mk 45 5-inch/54 caliber lightweight gun, two Phalanx CIWS, Mk 46 torpedoes (from two triple tube mounts)|
|Homeport: Pearl Harbor, HI.|
|Crew: 23 Officers, 24 Chief Petty Officers and 291 Enlisted|
This section contains the names of sailors who served aboard USS RUSSELL. It is no official listing but contains the names of sailors who submitted their information.
USS RUSSELL Cruise Books and Pamphlets:
Accidents aboard USS RUSSELL:
|June 6, 2012||50 miles off Oahu, Hi.|
A 32-year-old sailor falls overboard and is pronunced dead after being recovered by a rescue swimmer.
About the Ship's Coat of Arms:
(Click on the Coat of Arms for a larger version)
Dark blue and gold are the colors traditionally associated with the Navy. Gold is emblematic of excellence and red denotes valor and sacrifice. The red wedge and the trident symbolize DDG 59's modern warfare capabilities: the Aegis and Vertical Launch Systems. The three tines represent submarine, surface and air warfare. The wedge superimposed on the wave alludes to Major General Russell's leadership and vision in the development of the Fleet Marine Force and amphibious doctrine. The two gauntlets symbolize the two RUSSELL's and highlight teamwork and cooperation. The wavy divisions of the shield represent a river and underscore Rear Admiral Russell's service in coastal and river campaigns during the Mexican War and Civil War. The sun and light blue reflect the tropical climate of the Gulf Coast and Caribbean, referring to both Russell's service in the Gulf of Mexico and, especially, Major General Russell's extended service in Haiti. The sun and light blue also highlight the south and west Pacific service of the first USS RUSSELL (DD 414) in World War II.
The sixteen-sided shield and star commemorate the first USS RUSSELL's sixteen battle stars earned during World War II. The gold star also denotes command and authority. The stylized Oriental dragon symbolizes strength, vigilance and service in the Orient and Pacific.
About the Ship's Name:
USS RUSSELL is named after two people. They are:
Rear Admiral John H. Russell:
Rear Admiral John Henry Russell was appointed a midshipman on 10th of September 1841. As a junior officer, he served in ships such as CYANE and UNITED STATES in the Pacific, ST. MARY'S in the Gulf of Mexico, the store ship RELIEF, the mail steamer GEORGIA, various other ships of the North Pacific Exploring Expedition, in VINCENNES as navigator when she made her cruise into the Arctic, and in the WABASH in the Mediterranean.
RADM Russell is most famous for his Civil War heroics in Pensacola Harbor. In command of four small boats, then LT Russell passed through the heavy pounding of shore batteries. After his own coxswain was shot, he grabbed the tiller of his boat and led 100 men to the Confederate Privateer JUDAH. He and his men then jumped to the deck of JUDAH and destroyed it by fire. For his actions he received the following commendation from the Secretary of the Navy:
" An expedition, executed in the face of an enemy so much superior in numbers, with such brilliancy gallantry and success, can not pass without the special recognition of the Department. To those who were engaged in it, not only the Department, but the whole country, it is indebted for one of the brightest pages in that has adorned our naval record during this rebellion. Indeed, it may be placed, without disparagements, side by side with the fairest that adorn our early naval history. "The expedition will give renown, not only to those who were immediately concerned in it, but to the Navy itself - it will inspire others in the service to emulation--its recital hereafter will thrill the heart with admiration. "The Department will cherish the recollection of the exploit, and desires you to express to the officers, seamen and marines who participated in it, its highest admiration of their conduct."
As a reward for this brilliant enterprise, LT Russell was given command of the gunboat KENNEBEC in which he rendered distinguished war service for eight months on the Mississippi River, especially in operations resulting in the passage of Farragut's fleet past Forts Jackson and St. Philip. He further participated in the first engagements at Grand Gulf, Port Houston, Baton Rouge and Vicksburg. The KENNEBEC was subsequently employed under Russell on blockade duty on the Gulf Coast. Following the KENNEBEC, he commanded the steamer PONTIAC with the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, served on ordnance duty at Washington and commanded CYANE, the same ship on which he served as a midshipman.
After the Civil War, his duties were at the naval yards at Norfolk and Mare Island, and in command of the USS OSSIPEE on the pacific Coast. In September 1870, after the OSSIPEE rode out a hurricane, she went in search of the boats of the steamer CONTINENTAL which had foundered off the coast of lower California. The lives of a number of the CONTINENTAL crew were saved. Following the OSSIPEE, CAPT Russell commanded USS PLYMOUTH, North Atlantic Squadron and commanded USS POWATAN, special duty.
After serving several years at the Washington Navy Yard and at the Navy Department, RADM Russell served as Commandant of the Mare island Navy Yard from 1883 to 1886. He retired from active service on the 27th of August 1886 and died on the 1st of April, 1897.
Major General John H. Russell Jr.:
Major General John Henry Russell was born in California on the 14th of November, 1872. He was appointed to the United States Naval Academy by President Cleveland in May 1888 and graduated in June 1892. On July 1st, 1894, after two years at sea, he passed his final examinations and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps.
In 1896, he joined the USS MASSACHUSETTS, North Atlantic Squadron. During the Spanish-American War he served in MASSACHUSETTS in blockading operations around the West Indies and in the bombardment of Santiago, Cuba.
Duty in USS YOSEMITE was followed by assignments on Guam, and in command of the Marine Detachment, USS OREGON. His next shore duty was as an instructor at the school for young officers established at the Marine Barracks, Annapolis, Maryland. After duty at the Marine Barracks, Honolulu, T. H., he was ordered to command the Marines stationed at Camp Elliot, Panama Canal Zone.
In September 1908, he joined the Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island, for staff duty until 1910. It was during this tour of service that the "applicatory method" of instruction was put into effect.
He commanded the Marine Detachment, American Legation, Peking, China, from November 14th, 1910 to April 30th, 1913. The change in the Chinese government from an empire to a republic, which took place during this period, and the attendant disorders in and around Peking made this tour of duty particularly interesting and challenging.
After commanding various Marine Corps Regiments, in 1917 he was detached and ordered to the Republic of Haiti to command the Marine Brigade serving in that country. After showing superior leadership, in 1922 he was appointed American High Commissioner to Haiti with the rank of Ambassador Extraordinary by the U.S. Senate. General Russell served with distinction in Haiti as High Commissioner until November 1930.
Upon his return to the United States he was assigned to duty as Commanding General, Marine Corps Base, San Diego, California, and was transferred to command the Marine Barracks Quantico, Virginia in December 1931. He was detailed to Assistant to the Major General Commandant at Headquarters Marine Corps in February 1933. General Russell was appointed Commandant of the Marine Corps on the 1st of March, 1934; he remained on that duty until he reached the statutory age limit in November 1936.
While in service for the Corps and his country, Major General Russell was a major contributor to the development of the Fleet Marine Force and the doctrine that governs its load-out scheme, equipment, tactics, techniques and organization that proved decisive in World War II.
In addition to numerous letters of commendation during his long and varied career, General Russell was awarded the Navy Cross, Distinguished Service Medal, Haitian Medaille Militaire, West Indies (Sampson) Medal, Spanish Campaign Medal, Expeditionary Medal with West Indies Clasp and the Haitian Campaign Medal.
General Russell died in Coronado, California the 6th of March, 1947. He was interred in the Arlington National Cemetery.
USS RUSSELL Video Gallery:
Click on the thumbnail to watch the video clip.
|Tomahawk Missile Launch aboard USS RUSSELL on September 3, 1996, during Operation Desert Strike against Iraq. .mov file, size: 778 Kb|
USS RUSSELL Image Gallery:
The photos below were taken by Ian Johnson and show RUSSELL at Fremantle, Australia. They were taken on August 7, 2006 (the first two photos) and August 11, 2006. This was the ship's fourth visit to Western Australia and at the time, RUSSELL was part of the KITTY HAWK (CV 63) Strike Group.
The photo below was taken by me and shows RUSSELL at Naval Station Pearl Harbor, Hi., on March 14, 2008.
The photos below were taken by Henry Schnutz on August 27, 2013, and show RUSSELL dry-docked at BAE Systems San Diego Ship Repair during an Extended Drydocking Selected Restricted Availability (E-DSRA). RUSSELL entered the shipyard in July 2013.