no coat of arms
USS FLINT was one of the OAKLAND - class light cruisers and the first ship in the Navy named after the city in Michigan. Inactive at Bremerton, Wash., after January 1946, the FLINT was decommissioned there in May 1947. She was was reclassified CLAA 97 in March 1949 and remained in the Pacific Reserve Fleet until stricken from the Navy list in September 1965. FLINT was sold for scrapping in October 1966.
|General Characteristics:||Awarded: 1940|
|Keel laid: October 23, 1942|
|Launched: January 25, 1944|
|Commissioned: August 31, 1944|
|Decommissioned: May 6, 1947|
|Builder: Bethlehem Steel Co., San Francisco, Calif.|
|Propulsion system: geared turbines, 75,000 shp|
|Length: 541.7 feet (165.1 meters)|
|Beam: 53.15 feet (16.2 meters)|
|Draft: 20.7 feet (6.3 meters)|
|Displacement: approx. 8,340 tons fully loaded|
|Speed: 32.5 knots|
|Armament: twelve 12.7cm 5-inch/38 caliber guns in six twin mounts, 16 x 40mm guns, 16 x 20mm guns, eight torpedo tubes|
|Crew: 63 officers and 785 enlisted|
This section contains the names of sailors who served aboard USS FLINT. It is no official listing but contains the names of sailors who submitted their information.
USS FLINT History:
USS FLINT was launched 25 January 1944 by Bethlehem Steel Co., San Francisco, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. R. A. Pitcher; and commissioned 31 August 1944, Captain C. R. Will in command.
FLINT reported to the 3rd Fleet for duty at Ulithi 27 December 1944, and 6 days later sailed with TF 38 for a month-long cruise in support of the invasion of Luzon. She screened carriers as they launched strikes on Luzon, Taiwan, and the China coast, and fired protective antiaircraft cover during a Japanese kamikaze attack on 21 January 1945. Replenishing at Ulithi from 26 January to 10 February, FLINT then sailed with newly designated TF 58 for air strikes on Tokyo preceding the attack on Iwo Jima. Her force arrived off Iwo Jima 21 February to fly air support for the Marines who had landed 2 days previously, and FLINT returned to Ulithi 12 March for a brief 2 days of replenishment.
Putting to sea with TF 58 for strikes against Kyushu in preparation for the invasion of Okinawa, FLINT aided in bringing down several airplanes in heavy attacks on the task force from 18 to 22 March 1945. The task force then closed Okinawa, and FLINT with other cruisers bombarded beach installations in preparation for the landings on 1 April. Aside from the period 14 to 24 May, when she was at Ulithi for upkeep, FLINT operated off Okinawa until 13 June, when she anchored in Leyte Gulf.
FLINT sortied from Leyte 1 July 1945 to screen the final air attacks on the Japanese home islands and to join the bombardment of the east coast of Honshu until the cessation of hostilities. On 24 August, she took station off Nii Shima to serve as rescue ship and homing station for transport planes carrying occupation troops to Japan. Between 10 and 15 September, she lay in Tokyo Bay, then sailed with a carrier task force to provide air and sea surveillance of Central Honshu until 21 September.
The cruiser made a voyage from Japan to Eniwetok, then loaded homeward bound servicemen at Yokosuka 13 October 1945, bringing them into San Francisco Bay 28 November. After sailing to Kwajalein to bring home more servicemen eligible for discharge, FLINT reported at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Wash., 11 January 1946, and there was placed out of commission in reserve at Bremerton 6 May 1947. While in reserve, she was reclassified CLAA 97 on 18 March 1949.
FLINT received four battle stars for World War II service.
USS FLINT Image Gallery: